The foundation of the Transportation Museum at Ystafell had a long prelude but in the spring of 1995 discussions concerning the construction of facilities, to house the many cars and machines available at Ystafell, became more serious. On December 28, 1998 the Transportation Museum was formally established by Ingólfur Lars Kristjánsson and Kristbjörg Jónsdóttir.
Ingólfur was born and raised in Reykjavík but moved with his wife Kristbjörg to her childhood home at Ystafell in 1946. Ingólfur immediately started running trucks, driving milk to Húsavík and doing road construction in the summers. In the first few years he mainly used two Bedfords from the army and then there was the Dodge (Þ 127), always ready for the occasional trip into town and anything else that needed to be be done. The Dodge still exists in good condition. Ingólfur bought the Dodge from the Norwegian army through Sveinn Egilsson, his teacher of mechanics, and is the only individual owner of this Dodge Carry All 1940. Ingólfur and Kristbjörg used it to move up north.
Ingólfur had a car repair service from the time he moved to the north and many received his assistance through the years. Soon after the repair shop was built various items related to cars and machines started collecting at Ystafell and this treasure is now the basis of this transportation museum. In the last years it has become quite common for both individuals and repair shops to bring items for safe keeping, both old and new spare-parts, remnants of stocks that people don’t want to see destroyed.
The ever growing collection of cars at Ystafell was a thorn in the side of some. They spoke of a “car graveyard” and felt it was a blemish on the environment. However, times have changed and people’s ideas of the culturally historical value of machines, tools and cars that have been with man throughout time are different. Many people with an interest in old cars have stopped by at Ystafell and bowed their head in this “holy” place of car enthusiasts. Formerly a “graveyard”, now the Transport Museum at Ystafell. Outside the museum itself there are still many interesting things to see since the artifacts do not all fit into the museum building.
The main role of the Transport Museum is to collect and preserve machinery for transportation as well as information and photographs from Iceland’s history of transportation. This website contains a list of the main artifacts as well as short, informational and fun stories of cars, drivers and other material connected to transportation in the country’s roads or non-roads. Additionally we have included quite a few pictures to enjoy.
Ingólfur L. Kristjánsson died suddenly on February 13, 2003 and his wife Kristbjörg Jónsdóttir died on April 6, 2003.
Sverrir Ingólfsson, son of Ingólfur and Kristbjörg, worked alongside his father for years rebuilding and maintaining cars and machines. Sverrir is now the curator and in charge of the continuing organisation and growth of the museum in addition to rebuilding and maintaining its artifacts.
Getting There The museum is less than 30 minutes from Húsavík. Just head south on the main road, following the 85 as it turns right after the airport.
Hours of Operation:
May 15th - September 30th
Daily 10.00 - 20.00 Admission: Free entry for children 11 years and younger
The Transportation Museum at Ystafell
Address: Ystafell, Kaldakinn, 9 km from highway nr. 1, 641 Húsavík